VERIFICATION OF BENEFITS
The first step in obtaining optimum reimbursement from an insurance
company is the verification of benefits.
Verifying benefits is the process of gaining information regarding a member’s insurance coverage. It also helps to alleviate surprises along the way and can be used in cases where appeals may need to be written.
Sometimes insurance company representatives give incorrect or conflicting information. While we cannot be responsible for this, we will forward information about coverage trends that we track and have learned after many years of successfully obtaining insurance reimbursements. For example: A representative might say that they never cover the type of specialty of your provider; however, we may have billed the same company for your provider with much success.
Due to the important nature of obtaining complete and accurate information regarding benefits, Larsen Billing Service will not pursue troubled claims in cases where verifications were not performed by Larsen Billing Service.
Note: At this time, we only verify benefits for maternity care.
To hire Larsen Billing Service to verify your maternity benefits, please follow these steps:
- Be sure that your policy is currently in effect. We cannot verify benefits for past or future policies.
- Obtain your provider’s PIN from their office — this is a 5-digit number we assign to all of our clients. If your provider is not a client of ours, we cannot verify your benefits.
- To ensure proper delivery of our benefits report, please add email@example.com to your email’s safe sender list.
- Complete the Patient Registration Form
- Pay the $20 non-refundable fee for us to verify primary coverage. (If you have secondary coverage and list it on this same form, it is an additional $10 fee for us to verify secondary coverage.)
- After we have verified your benefits, we will send you a report via email. This report will include your rate of coverage, deductible information, and whether or not any specific services or facilities are covered. Please note that it may take up to 7-10 business days for us to send you this report. If you have additional questions, please feel free to email us at VOB@larsenbilling.com.
Other important things to note:
- If your insurance changes during your pregnancy or your pregnancy laps two calendar years, LBS suggests that a new VOB is completed for the new policy. An additional Patient Registration Form can be submitted on our website along with an additional $20 payment.
- If LBS is unable to complete the Verification of Benefits after multiple attempts, due to insurance restrictions, we will have no choice but to send the information we were able to obtain.
- LBS is not responsible for incorrect information given by insurance representatives, nor is any verification a guarantee of payment. The insurance company has the right to make a final ruling on each claim submitted according to their latest policies and procedures.
- Hiring LBS to obtain your benefits information does not mean that we will submit your medical insurance claims.
- Should you choose to leave your provider’s care for any reason, the completed VOB is yours to take with you.
- Submitting a Patient Registration Form for a Medicaid/Medicare policy using the portal is a free service as these plans do not require a verification of benefits. Please note that you must choose the Medicaid/Medicare option under the “Covered By:” section, in order to forgo payment.
- LBS will obtain insurance information for one primary plan for the $20 fee. If your policy changes for any reason, including renewal periods, you will need to re-submit an additional Patient Registration Form on our website along with an additional $20 payment.
- AFLAC and other similar supplemental insurance programs are not currently accepted.